Flu vaccinations will not be done by the Practice this year.  Patients will receive a letter from Glasgow Health Board regarding an appointment.  

Sickness Certificates

Sickness Certificates

You do not require a doctor's sickness certificate for any illness lasting seven days or less. Your employer may however require you to complete a self-certification form (SC2) which is available from your employer or on the HMRC website .

The NHS provides sickness certificates for the DSS only for periods of sickness lasting greater than 7 days where the doctor thinks the patient remains unfit for work.  Shorter periods of illness are dealt with via a standard of “self-certification” form which is available from GPs’ surgeries.  Alternatively some employers have their own self certification form.  Any request from a patient for a self certificate for their employer for a shorter period is a private certificate and a fee will be charged by the GP practice.


Most colleges have a “self certification” form available for illness lasting less than 7 days.  If your illness is a short one you should enquire about this.  If you think that you require a longer time away from your educational course you should arrange an appointment with your GP.


If you require a “sickness certificate” for periods less than 7 days this would be a private certificate which would involve a fee (ask at the GPs reception).  If your college/university or bursary organisation say you should still obtain a certificate for less than 7 days, please show them this information.  Glasgow GPs believe that appointments solely to obtain short term sickness certificates are a waste of NHS time and resource which does nothing to improve health.


Educational organisations who do not understand the self-certification system can telephone the Glasgow Local Medical Committee for information.  We are sorry but we are unable to provide advice to individual students on this matter.


NHS ScotlandThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website